Thursday, January 19, 2006

A fragment of Amarāvatī?

A few years back I was lucky enough to receive these photographs from an art dealer, the piece was for sale. The circular floral motif immediately reminded me of Amarāvatī. Since I have not seen any publication mentioning this object since, I have posted these (rather poor) photographs.

The images are quite illegible, it would be comparatively easy to read the inscription from the original. The inscription seems to read:

<vi>śuddhabuddhiḥ Vaṃjarakācāryyaṃ Kosikabaṃdhuśrutekabhaṃgaduddhāraḥ mahāvihāranavakī**pratiṣṭh<āna> ... ā… py av[i?]yuktaḥ dharmmasyaḥ

This provisional reading does not seem to be quite right. It is difficult to be sure of the
anusvāras, and I will put some more thought into this over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment